Tuesday, October 27, 2009

So Tired

I'm tired of the world today. I wonder how we made it growing up when I watch my children trying to live through what life offers them. Children are mean, but adults can be just as bad. I sometimes wonder if my sons view me as a bully.

In thinking on it, I'm not sure (m)any of us grew up wonderfully. We survived our childhood. That's all. I hope my children can survive theirs. I continually think I need to step back and let my children learn for themselves. Then I see what the education system is becoming and realize I am not the type of mom that can sit back and watch while my child is set up for failure.

Gone are the days when children respected their elders. It appears that, with that loss, many teachers are no longer willing to provide a wonderful education. Where are the teachers that will move mountains to help children get a great education? I know they exist, but not many per school.

I feel many teachers are becoming lackadaisical in their teaching methods. Perhaps they're tired from fighting the system's balance; too many students per teacher, not enough money per student. We get what we pay for.

Whatever it is, I don't see it getting better. If what I hear (an attempt to move away from textbooks) is really happening in the high schools , I'm worried of where they'll be in 5 years time when my oldest takes his first steps inside. I won't sit idly by while my children drown in a sea of incomprehension. Computers will take us far, but they are not infallible. A love of books will get us farther.

They say they're trying to make it easier on everybody. I think learning needs to be worked at if it's going to stick. Knowledge must be earned. On that same thread, if teaching was easy, it wouldn't be worth it. We're entrusting our children's future to these teachers. Are they handling that trust with integrity?

1 comment: